(Recommended for Christ Servant Ministers seeking to provide pulpit supply)
Description: The 2012 General Conference designated a separate position of Lay Speaker. In our conference journal we use the term CSM Lay Speaker to identify those individuals who indicate that they have a deeper commitment to serve in a preaching capacity, perhaps for extended periods of time, and have completed an extensive required course of study. Please keep in mind that the opportunities to serve as guest speakers is not restricted to persons designated as CSM Lay Speakers. Many Christ Servant Ministers have taken advanced courses in Speaking, but desire to use their talents in areas beyond pulpit supply. Most Districts have a relatively short list of CSM Lay Speakers when compared to the broader base of Christ Servant Ministers.
Guidelines for a CSM Lay Speaker:
1. Complete requirements for recognition as a Christ Servant Minister.
2. Each year submit an annual report to Charge Conference as required by Discipline.
3. Each year send signed copies of the Annual Report to the CSM District and Conference
4. Complete the required Course of Study for CSM Lay Speaker
(Introduction to Christ Servant Ministry, Speaking 1 & 2, one other Advanced course to be
chosen from a list of recommended courses).
5. When course work is completed, provide appropriate documentation to the CSM District and
6. Every 3 years complete 1 advanced course and receive an effectiveness review by the CSM
Course of Study to become a CSM Lay Speaker
• Basic CSM Course
• Speaking 1
• Speaking 2
• Two other recommended courses
• Discovering Spiritual Gifts
• Leading Prayer
• Living Our United Methodist Beliefs (UM Heritage)
• Leading Worship
• Life in the United Methodist Connection (UM Polity)